The Men’s Attitude is reader-supported! We might get a small commission if you purchase something after clicking our links, at no extra charge for you.
Does your clipper start pinching and pulling your hair every time you use it? Are you thinking about getting rid of it and getting a new one?
Please don’t do that yet! In most cases, there is no problem with your clipper, and after you oil the blades, they will be like new!
Whether you are a home user or a professional, you need to keep your clippers in optimal shape. This means that you should clean them and oil them after each use cause if you don’t, the blades will not be as sharp as they are supposed to be and, as a result, will cut unevenly or even start pulling your hair.
If you have never oiled your clippers before, don’t worry. Keep reading, and when you are done with this article, you will know exactly how to oil your hair clippers.
How to oil hair clippers?
To start the oiling process, you will need the following:
- Hair clipper oil or an alternative
- Disinfectant or soap
- A toothbrush
Here is a step-by-step guide to the entire oiling hair clippers process.
- Remove the blades: The first thing you need to do is to remove the blades from your clippers. Usually, this is done by unscrewing the blade from the clipper’s body, but it can vary depending on the model (read your clippers manual or search online to see exactly how to do it)
- Clean the blades: Before applying oil, you should clean the blades. You should do that because if you oil dirty blades, the oil will get mixed with the dirt and create a filthy mix that will make things even worse. To clean the blades, simply dip them in a water solution with disinfectant or soap. Afterward, use the toothbrush to scrub away any dirt or hair that might be stuck on the blades. Once you are done, rinse the blades with clean water.
- Dry the blades: This is a very important step because if you don’t dry the blades thoroughly, the oil will not be able to do its job. To dry the blades, you can either use a towel or let them air dry.
- Apply the oil: Now it’s time to apply the oil. Apply a few drops of oil to both sides of the blade. Then turn the clipper on and let the oil work its way through the blades for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Wipe off the leftover oil: After you have let the clipper run for 30 seconds to 1 minute, turn it off and wipe away any excess oil with a clean towel.
And that’s it! You are now done oiling your hair clippers. As you can see, it’s very easy and only takes a few minutes.
At this point, it’s important to mention how not to oil clippers. There is a classic misconception that you can use disinfectant sprays and coolants for oiling. These products are not designed to lubricate the blades and should not be used as a hair-clipper oil substitute. The only thing you should use for oiling your clippers is oil that is specifically designed for this purpose or a clipper oil alternative (you can read here about some good clipper oil alternatives).
Why You should your oil clippers
Clipper oil is the life force of your clippers; it is specifically designed to coat the blade’s surface with a thin film and assure proper operation and ultimate performance.
When you use it regularly, you keep the blades working smoother without any issues. With sufficient lubrication, you decrease friction, but, most importantly, you keep the blades from snagging and pulling hair.
Proper oiling not only keeps the blades in top shape but also amplifies the clipper performance. They slide nicely against each other and offer a comfy hair-cutting experience.
Related Article: “Seven Reasons Your Hair Clipper Is Not Cutting And How to Fix It“
Should you oil clippers before or after use?
To prevent your hair clippers from wearing out, clean and oil them after every use. If you don’t have time to oil them after each use, you can do an oiling routine every two uses.
For ideal performance, some barbers like to add oil before and after use. This is a great tactic, particularly for professionals. Just make sure not to use too much oil. Otherwise, the blade will attract tons of hair, dirt, and dust.
How often Should You oil hair clippers?
It depends on how often you use them. Ideally, you should apply oil with each use. Make it a habit to make the most of the blades.
Of course, many barbers are busy and don’t have time to oil their clippers that often. If that’s the case with you, you should at least oil your clippers daily at the end of the day. Oil them and turn them on for about 30 seconds or until the oil completely disperses. Then turn it off and wipe away any extra oil.
Pro Tip: If you want your clippers to last more you should also sharpen the blades every now and then, if you don’t know how to do it, you can read our guide “How to sharpen hair clippers“
Lubricated clipper blades last longer and work smoother. Regular oiling decreases friction, offering users an excellent experience.
Now that you know how to oil clippers and take good care of them, you can improve your shaving and hair-cutting efficiency. Also, don’t forget to clean the clippers and sterilize them on a regular basis.