Best Razor for Men
It can be tough to determine which the best razor for men is since the market is flooded with numerous shaving tools.
The traditionalists seem content with their authentic custom style straight razors, while the avid groomers prefer the outcome of a cartridge-based model.
Curiosity begs to ask which is better between the two.
The truth is that both are capable of delivering a clean shave. Read on for more details and reviews.
Top 5 Razor for Men
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor
Equinox Professional Straight Edge Razor
Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100
Edwin Jagger DE89bl Chrome Plated Safety
Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic Safety Razor
Types of Razors
1. Disposable razors
These are designed for limited usage. Typically, they are used once or twice and then discarded. They have a plastic handle that is permanently attached to the shaving head.
• They are affordable and sold in packs of 10-20.
• They are ideal for travel and camping.
• Since they are disposable they end up reducing your luggage when traveling.
• Blades are made of flimsy steel.
• The quality of the razors is sub par.
• Delivers uneven shaves which result to ingrown hairs on the user’s face.
2. Electric razors
Electric razors are a popular choice for men who are constantly on the go. They have a rotating blade and can be used without shaving cream or water. Most electric razors are powered by rechargeable batteries.
The design and functionality of these blades have drastically improved over the last few decades.
These types of razors are effective and always get the job done even when in a hurry.
• Can be used on the go.
• Does not require shaving cream.
• Water and a bathroom sink are also not required.
• They are convenient and quick.
• They are not as effective as double edged razors.
• They cause irritation.
3. Cartridge Razors
The Gillette Mach 3 is arguably the most popular cartridge razor.
These types of razors are easy to use and allow the user to shave along or against the grain.
They consist of a metal or plastic handle and a flexible center to allow the razor to follow the shape of the face.
Their cartridges contain up to 6 stainless steel blades offering a deep shave.
• A single cartridge is effective for 3-4 shaves.
• They are considered to be the safest option.
• They are expensive.
• They tend to cause irritation and ingrown hairs.
• For a painless shave, cartridge razors require water and shaving soap.
4. Safety Razors
Only a small part of this blade contacts your skin, which prevents cuts hence the name “safety razor.”
Safety razors consist of a metal head and permanent handle with a replaceable stainless steel blade with double edges.
• They can be replaced once a week depending frequency of use.
• They require only a light touch shave to work on your beard effectively.
• They are a cheaper option compared to cartridge razors.
• It takes some time to get used to shaving with these razors.
5. Straight Razors
Also known as, cut-throat razors, these blades consist of sharp blades that fold into their handles.
Their blades are made of hardened steel while the handle is made from materials like wood, bone, plastic, horn or metal.
The handles and blades are often customized to the user’s liking.
• The sharp edges of the blades provide a close shaves.
• The blades last for long but need regular honing and stropping to keep the blade sharp and straight.
• They are cost effective.
• They can cause deep cuts especially if you are not careful.
• It takes a lot of practice to get used to shave with a straight razor.
What Should I consider when choosing a razor?
- 1Blade type: Preferably, look for a stainless steel blade for premium sharpness and hygiene.
- 2Razor head: Flexibility is the key feature of a safety razor; so choose a razor head that can be angled across the face and lock in place for precision cutting. Most cartridge razors come with a pivotal head to offer a really deep shave.
- 3Maintenance: Choose a razor you can easily maintain; straight razors require regular cleaning of the razor lock system to last longer, whereas cartridge razors require a quick rinse after every shave.
- 4Length and weight: This depends on your hands. If you have big hands you need a long, heavy razor, if you have small hands you should choose a light razor with a smaller handle.
- 5Special features: It is worth noting any special features in the razors such as cartridge razors with multiple blades or lubrication strips. The right features for your skin type will make your shaving experience better.
How to use a razor?
How do I Prevent Razor Bumps and Ingrown Hair?
Razor bumps and ingrown hair is a result of using methods and products that are not designed for curly or coarse hair. To avoid this, cut your hair cleanly to the skin level, and you won’t encounter these problems. To successfully prevent ingrown hair and razor bumps you should also follow these tips:
Best Razor For Men Review
The Gillette Fusion ProGlide Razor features Gillette’s thinnest and finest blades. Its handle is designed with FlexBall technology, which responds perfectly to contours and cuts virtually every hair on its path. On its back, it has a precision trimmer that is ideal for shaving hard-to-reach areas such as sideburns and the nose.
The Gillette Fusion ProGlide is battery powered and delivers an optimal shave when the frequency and voltage are consistent. Regular usage weakens the voltage and frequency so you need to keep an eye on the battery life.
The Gillette Fusion ProGlide has a microchip that monitors the battery and signals you every time the battery is about to die. It has a feature that automatically turns it off after about 8 minutes of continuous usage. This feature protects the battery life in case the razor is activated accidentally.
It also has soothing micro-pulses that increase razor glide and reduce friction. The comfort level in this blade is so high that you can hardly feel the blades. Its enhanced lubra strip is infused with lubricating polymers and mineral oil to allow the blade to glide smoothly, even on repeat strokes.
In the old days, our grandfathers maintained a smooth face using straight razors such as the Equinox Professional Straight Razor. With one of these timeless masterpieces, you will get an excellent shave without having to pay the big buck. It is made from quality stainless steel and is guaranteed to never tarnish or rust. The razor is built with an easy to open blade guard making blade changing safe and effortless.
It is designed with stability and comfort in mind. Its ergonomic design provides the user with the perfect holding angles to avoid any discomfort. When opened, your index and middle fingers rest on top, the ring finger on the back handle while the thumb rests near the blade compartment.
In the package, you will find a box of one hundred Single Edge Blades by Derby that is wrapped individually to enhance hygiene and safety. Each blade can last up to 2-3 shaves making it a great bargain. Finally, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied.
The Philips 2100 offers a convenient and comfortable shave at a good price. It has 4-direction Flex Heads and a CloseCut Blade System to guarantee a smooth result. The CloseCut Blade System is designed to give you a precision shave every time. Its blades are not only durable but also self-sharpening. This ensures that the blades stay sharp throughout the shaving process.
The 4-directional flex heads move independently to cover every curve of your face for a smoother shave even on the jawline and neck. Thanks to lithium batteries, you can now shave efficiently for longer periods.
It features a pop trimmer that is designed to maintain/trim your moustache and sideburns correctly. Its one-touch open feature allows you to pop the heads open and rinse under a tap. Its batteries can last up to 35 minutes which is approximately 14 shaves, after 8 hours of charging. It only operates in cordless mode.
Edwin Jagger combines English quality with a great design and well-established craftsmanship. The DE89bl is fitted with the latest DE razor blade head to provide a perfect wet shave. The results are comparable to the original straight razor.
The Edwin Jagger, which is a double edge safety razor, reduces ingrown hair by achieving a very close shave. The handles are well balanced giving a comfortable and close shave. The manufacturers recommend using the Badger Shaving Brush and Edwin Jagger Shaving Cream for the best experience.
The Merkur 34C is probably one of the best safety razors. It has a relatively short handle made by a German company.
It is a modern take of the classic double edge razor that perfectly blends style and full adjustability into an ergonomic design. Shaving remains consistent from the beginning to the end.
The blade gap slices through the hair instantly and scoops up the shaving residue for effortless cleanup, the chrome finish guarantees that the razor will last long.
There is no denying that the Merkur 34C is the clear winner here, it is also a favorite among users and experts. For starters, it gives an accurate baby-bottom-smooth shave and is consistent throughout.
It has a double-edged razor and a stainless-steel blade. The razor head slices through hair and scoops shaving residue.
It is chrome plated to ensure it lasts long. It has a robust design that holds the blade at the appropriate angle. Threads on the tube are well spaced to make it easy to screw the head on/off.
It is a bit heavy, which is good because it helps you get a steady and balanced shave. The Merkur 34C is arguably the best razor.